Friday, July 20, 2007

You Are Now Entering A Spoiler-Free Zone

Welcome back. From camp and wedding craziness to Harry Potter mania, my summer has finally gotten a little spicy. My book club just finished discussing HP6 last night (we made a whole posterful of predictions including Snape dies, Harry dies, Voldemort dies, but luckily Ron and Hermione get it on!) and are ready to line up and party tonight with HP7.

A few highlights of my travels:

  • Leading a Harry Potter Interest Group at church camp wherein the middle school kids blew me away with their insight, excitement and even discussion group etiquette. I'm so thankful to have, early in my career, learned that teaching can also mean posing one or two questions and then just let the kids rip. Instead of the back-and-forth-teacher-question-kid-raises-hands-and-answers-and-teacher-nods-approval business, the kids talk to each other. p.s. Reeta, I think I'm hooked on middle school kiddos.
  • Being a first-year counselor at a new-to-me camp and learning that a bunk tradition is to read picture books at bedtime, even to these middle school girls! Old Turtle, The Three Questions, good times.
  • Being able to say off the top of my head, "You know, if you like The Three Questions, I bet you'll love Zen Shorts."
  • Going to an awesome, rowdy wedding in D.C. with some of my middle school friends.
  • Sitting next to a pilot during my very turbulent flight back to Nashville.
  • Having just two weeks left until I start my new job.
p.s. I got a job - Library Assistant at K-12 school here in Nashville. I just realized I never officially announced it. I'm very excited to start my M.S. program knowing that I'll be seeing everything in action. And seeing as how I think it'll be three years in the finishing, should be some mighty fine mentoring goin' on.

Okay. So there's the update. And I'll probably be off-air this weekend, not only to read but to avoid any freakin' spoilers! Man! Are people dumb or what?! Already downloaded and early shipped books and websites with who dies. Bad form, people.

Happy Reading!

No comments: