Mars Needs MomsBerkeley Breathed
Philomel (2007)
Milo, like Where The Wild Things Are's Max, is not so convinced that the world needs mothers, especially ones like his. His mom makes him eat his broccoli and carrots. She makes him take out the trash. And when she orders Milo to bed without supper for innocently painting his sister purple, Milo rebels shouting "I sure don't see what's so special about mothers!"
Well, just because whiny human boys haven't figured out the importance of moms doesn't mean motherly benefits have also gone unnoticed by the likes of, say, Martians. The rest of the story follows various Mom-napping Martians, who by the way "grow motherless from the ground like potatoes" and therefore have difficulty finding rides to soccer practice, as they lay their Starbucks-laden traps. Wouldn't you know it, Milo's awful mom is one of the (un)lucky moms to be whisked away to Mars.
Of course Milo stows away on the spaceship (more likely for adventure than mom-loyalty). Unfortunately, as Milo disembarks, he trips, smashing his helmet on the Martian earth. We see Milo gasp and choke for air and then we turn the page to one of my favorite pictures by Breathed. Here comes Mom to the rescue - glowing, floating, her face darkened and haloed from the blazing sun behind her. There is a glint off the glass of her own helmet that she seems to be taking off. Can she save her son in time? Would you if you were Milo's mom? (The picture also shows that tower of light spots that even movie cameras can't get rid of when shooting into the sun. Cool effect. )
There is a happy ending. Maybe moms really are special. And maybe this book would be perfect for a digital art class. Here comes the Teacher Brain. I've gotten better at not thinking like a Teacher every time I read a book - "This would be great for my Butterfly Unit!" "What a captivating read-aloud this would be while we study Geometry!" Blah, blah, blah. I mean to say, I'm much better at reading books as a Reader, as She Who Enjoys Stories.
Still, I can't help categorizing Mars Needs Moms just a smidge. And my category? Books That Hook 'Em With Art First. The handful of kids I've given this book to have all read it twice - once to melt into Breathed's virtual art (copyright info puts it this way: "The illustrations were created with virtual acrylics and virtual watercolor on 100% rag archival virtual illustration board.") and the second time to pick up the text. Me? I'm not a huge sci-fi-for-kids fan. I tend to prefer more nostalgic stories. Mars Needs Moms is a very modern, very bright, very busy little book. And this is where reading as a Reader comes in handy. It wasn't my favorite book, but I spent plenty of time marveling at how computer chips can make such cool pictures.
Child-lit recently discussed (and still is a bit) celebrity authors. I remember someone mentioning Berkeley Breathed's new book and a comment Breathed made about writing for children during an NPR interview. I think the post's take on Breathed was negative, something about not understanding how to write for children. On my celebrity-book-o-meter (on a scale from Madonna to Lithgow), I'd put Mars Needs Moms somewhere between Jerry Seinfeld's Halloween and any book by Jamie Lee Curtis. Tell you what. Check out Breathed's other children's books and lemme' know what you think.
5 comments:
In the hopes that you like a good debate about a book (I think people too often are afraid to disagree on our blog -- or blogs in general -- but I LOVE it when they do!), I want to add . . .
Well, first, love your write-ups. I always enjoy reading them.
Anyway, the underlying theme of this book really kinda bugged me. As Publisher's Weekly put it (I know this, 'cause I just spent about thirty minutes trying to remember who said this and then finally found the review), the "backward equation of women and domesticity" really kinda raised my hackles. And this is coming from a "stay-at-home mom," too, who spends plenty of time on domestic chores (but, despite what a lot of people think, I believe you can be a feminist stay-at-home mom). Anyway, I just found it kinda of cringe-worthy. I get the motherly love theme, etc. etc. I do get it. But seeing her as primarly an object of self-sacrifice made the ending, which was supposed to be touching, icky to me. I kinda couldn't stand it.
But, again, I enjoyed reading your review. You always put a lot of thought into them. I will happily debate if you think you can talk me into liking it!
Cheers!
Hoping you don't hate me for giving an honest opinion.
Yay! Debate! Of course I don't mind, mostly because I agree with you, but also because I think it's so important to do.
You're right. The mom is never without her housecoat and we never even see the dad except in the last page as he awakes, presumably getting up to go put in a hard day at the office. Is the mom supposed to be thankful that her ungrateful son finally came to his senses to save his wretch of a mother?
I think sometimes the success (whether healthy or not) of stories lies in everyone buying into assumptions. If we're all on board with moms being underappreciated domestic warriors, then we have more energy to spend to laugh at the silly aliens needing rides to soccer practice and just get lost in the pictures, which I definitely did, never mind the "statement" or "message," if there is one. And yes, I believe this is officially a not-so-fabulous message. But I admit I'm gunshy about writing negatives in a review. Then again, lemme' at "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" and you'll see some negatives, boy, oh boy. I haven't yet sat down and hashed out bryn's company policy on "but it's just a book." Because 1) I don't feel that way, but 2) that means I have to speak up instead of escaping into the book. That said, if the book doesn't compel me to escape into it, I might have an easier time writing negatives. Does that make sense?
You know I was about to write that maybe I'll get better/more comfortable with critique (I guess they don't have to all be "negatives" like I keep saying) the more reviews I write, but then I recalled the book I'm reading now, "blink", by malcom gladwell and how we humanoids have some pretty fantastic gut instincts.
Sorry that kind of veered off from domesticity and into responsibilites of book reviewing. But I'm with you. I agree with you. I don't have as strong a reaction to it, but, so, then I have a question. Is this the kind of book that you wouldn't feel comfortable reading to your kids because of the message? Or you just don't want Readers to be duped into thinking it's as virtual sweet and computer graphic innocent as it seems to be. (That sounded sarcastic. It's late and I need to stop trying to be so creative with my sentences.) Because that's the line I'm having trouble drawing or even defining - always read to enjoy, always read with an awareness or some blend? And how does that translate to my reviews and this blog? Can you tell I just finished grad school? Enough with the problematizing and reproblematizing questions!
Yay! Keep it coming, man. And thanks for the compliments.
Sorry to be so slow to respond. (I need a blog break after the SBBT, though it was awesome fun).
Anyway, you asked: "Is this the kind of book that you wouldn't feel comfortable reading to your kids because of the message?" Nah, we read it. I didn't say a word. I hope that through my actions they sense how I feel about the topic, and when they're older, I can tell them what I think. (My youngest, who isn't even two yet, will not quite know what "feminist" means . . . and I'm not being sarcastic now either).
I hear ya on the negative reviewing. It's tough. Eisha and I feel like it's important to maintain the blog's integrity in being honest at all times, but we still tend to just recommend books we liked, so as to not waste our time -- or the readers' time -- on books we wouldn't give a second glance. Our only exceptions are big award-winners that we just don't get (like this post, which garnered a lot of attention for us back when we first started our blog) OR if it's a book by someone we normally love, but we don't care for the book (we just finished reading an advance proof of Polly Horvath's upcoming book and are going to go ahead and give it an honest review, though we found it disappointing).
Having said that, though, some of the bloggers I respect the most are the ones who aren't afraid to rip a book a new one when it deserves it (to be blunt).
Anyway, I'm babbling on. I'm sure I didn't answer all your questions either, but I need to go.
Thanks!
Bryn, the Metro Council decided NOT to cut library funding. YAY! Thanks for your help with the issue and for making your voice heard.
HA! That's awesome. Here's to more happy reading.
Post a Comment