Tuesday, May 15, 2007

LM_NET Top Ten for 5/15

There's a radio station here that claims it only has 12 listeners. The DJ will say "And now for all 12 of our listeners ..." Self-deprecating, but funny. I doubt I can claim 12. I might be pushing three, and that includes my mom. So for those three and my mom, here it is.

LM_NET Top Ten:

10. Would you recommend Eragon to a 2nd-grader?

9. Some awesome library themes (gettin' a jump on this Fall)
  • Exercise the right to read

8. Remanufactured print cartridges

  • I'm not making fun; this is highly interesting. Print cartridges not specifically meant for your specific printer, or remanufactured/cheap cartridges, tend to leave those streaky marks or ghost images and ruin your printed document. Good to know!

7. A survey of perceived important texts that a "well-educated" citizen would read.

  • The list included such canon standards at Huck Finn, 1984, Shakespeare, gag, etc. Seriously, the assumption that these are important texts, let alone that you are automatically a "well-educated" citizen having read them, um, bothers me. A stagnant canon does nothing but fester. I say Octavian Nothing for everyone! Who's with me?!

6. DVDs for teens about AIDS (I'd love to see some quality ones.)

5. Naming a Reading Award

4. If you could only stock ten books in your library, what would they be?

3. Evermore controversy around And Tango Makes Three

2. International Polar Year (warning: you're going to want to visit this site everyday)

  • This scientific programme is basically a giant free-for-all window of exploration to learn more about the Arctic and Antarctic. My favorite part is this is actually the fourth time this is happening - the previous three times being 1882-3 (wow), 1932-3, and 1957-8!

1. Remember the idea search for incentives to get long over due books in before summer? One Netter wants to read Give Me My Bone over the PA system, in a spooky voice of course. HA!

Honorable Mention: A few Netters took the very exciting Top Ten circulation lists that came in from around the country and made display showcases with maps, book covers, push pins to mark location and everything. What a great way to connect students and books from all over the world!

Until next week ...

No comments: