Monday, May 21, 2007

Mommies Say Shhh!, by Patricia Polacco

Mommies Say Shhh!
Patricia Polacco

Philomel (2005)
Board Book

The second I saw this book in my professor's office I became jealous of babies everywhere. I've been dying to give this to my cousin's year-and-a-half old sweet pea because I cannot think of a more precious story (well, Hug and Mama certainly give anything a run for its money).

With the understated grace and meadowside whimsy we've come to rely on from Polacco, Mommies Say Shhh! takes a peek at some young children working and playing at a farm in all its acre-ous (it's a word) glory. We watch them go about their chores and knitting accompanied by their animals' sounds. "Dogs say buff, buff, buff. Sheep say baa, baa, baa. Geese say honk, honk, honk. Bunnies say nothing at all."

Little ones will love the bright colors and silly animal antics which provide even more story than the text. Readers will love the comforting rise and fall cadence of noisy animals and silent, twitchy-nose bunnies. Sure to be a repeat.

No comments: